‘A place where everybody matters’
Our school vision is at the heart of everything we do at Nelson Infant School and that includes our curriculum. We offer a curriculum which is broad and balanced and which builds on the knowledge, understanding and skills of all children, whatever their starting points.
Our curriculum incorporates the statutory requirements of the National Curriculum 2014 and other experiences and opportunities which best meet the learning and developmental needs of the pupils in our school.
The aim of our curriculum is for pupils to have the requisite skills to be successful, independent and motivated but most importantly that they are happy, kind, honest and respectful learners.
- ensuring that our work has a distinctive local focus to enable children to develop a sense of place and community through the important work they do
- developing a love for and understanding of the world around us through our curriculum, gardening and growing, cooking, animal care, outdoor learning
- helping children to develop healthy, curious minds, and to be happy, confident and creative individuals through our whole school using Mantle of the Expert and bespoke Thrive programme
- active participation in the visual and performing arts and music
- weekly physical education and Sports Factory sessions
- ensuring that we provide a strong voice for our young people across the school with our School Council.
- exploring the ‘big ideas’ including faiths from around the world, through our philosophy curriculum
- developing the skills of powerful oracy
- learning how to stay safe through our road safety courses , NSPCC days and internet safety